I have to admit, I’m a bit unimpressed by this skirt. Oh, it will be worn – I need skirts desperately, and it’s a basic, basic skirt – but it didn’t come out how I thought it would.
- It’s bigger than I thought it would be. Yes, I fit tested it before I put on the waistband. It was fine. And then I finished all the seams and sewed on the waistband and … wow. It would take a lot of ripping out to fix this – so I’m not going to do that. I will make a second skirt with this pattern (other view) so I’ll address that there.
- The drape is eh. This picture is taken over a petticoat – and it’s still striving to hang like a pencil skirt instead of an A-line. This is due to my lack of hips as well as being a bit big, but again… eh. I might make it its own petticoat – a simple slip with a ruffle of lace to hold out the hem.
- DH really wanted me to leave it below the knee, and I don’t know about that. I half like it and half don’t.
What I do like:
- I like the fabric, and I didn’t think I would until I got it home and washed it up. In the store, this was ever-so-boring khaki twill. To find that it’s a slightly blonde twill with a sheen? NICE. I might well go back for more – this is a very basic color for me, and it’s hard to find blonde-khaki. Usually khaki runs brownish or greyish.
- Finishing details – I love the topstitching, I love how I put this together. I did a bang-up job, and I can be proud of it.
- Having such a basic skirt.
It was nice to put a skirt together from the envelope, instead of messing with a lot of fitting – and I don’t know that a lot of fitting would have revealed the issues, since I fit with sheets, and the fabric dif might well have concealed what went wrong. Other than fiddling around with the zipper in the beginning, and the flat-fell seams, this was a very quick sew.
This is a different silhouette for me – being knee length, and again, still working on the lack of waist, which a slightly-too-large skirt doesn’t help with. So I’m going to be figuring that out.
The pattern itself I can completely recommend… so there is that! 🙂