Things to do today:
- Meet with son’s teacher (monthly meeting to turn in work samples)
- Get meds for dog (errand #1)
- Take dog to groomer (errand #2)
- Get various supplies from Target (errand #3)
- Chores, sewing
- About 75 degrees, much cooler than it has been, sunny as always
- Skirt vs. dress – I went with a skirt, because I didn’t want to be that formal or dressy. All
my errands are very casual, and I didn’t want to over-dress for the teacher meeting. (Dressing better/more formally than the person with whom you are meeting is a status thing).
- Neckline – I am going to be sitting across from a male other than my husband, which always lowers the neckline from where you think it is when you’re standing up. Thus, three shirts automatically disqualify themselves.
- Colors – Do I want to be bright as a peacock, or be a bit more relaxed? More relaxed – I’m not the star of this show, that’s my son.
- Dress it up, dress it down? None of these things are terribly formal, dress it down – but in a tidy way. I want to communicate “I have it together” and my usual level of femininity (high). I chose a narrow brown belt, my lovely Mexican purse, ivory earrings, and a brown comb for a cover. That brings the tone down/brings it an organic/nurturing vibe, which is echoed in the soft print of my blouse. I’m going to bring it back up a tad with a bright bracelet and my red & gold cross. I’ll wear my hair in a braid down the center of my back, that’s a relatively soft, put-together yet
casual look. You can see that the brown is the third most prominent color in my outfit.
- Shoes. Well, this isn’t really a decision right now – I slammed my ankle in the door between the garage and the kitchen on Saturday, it’s still a bit bruised, so I’m sticking with my *very very casual* flip flops. Not ideal for this outfit or for walking around while I shop, but better than pain. (Not pictured).
Total effect: Red + blue jeans = reliable and all-American. Soft print + print on purse + brown = earthy/maternal/relaxed. Bright, fun jewelry = alive/fun/awake
Just back from all those errands… I felt completely put together and appropriate, which is a win! Now I’m going to take the pretty blouse off and put on a tank top, which will be weather appropriate as it warms up today, and task-appropriate, as I get some chores and whatnot done.