It’s not that I’d deliberately lie to you… but I’m very good at temporary self-denial. Key word: Temporary. I rock at stiff-upper-lip. It’s only a flesh wound!!!
Remember this post? https://hearthroses.wordpress.com/2016/08/21/preparing-for-change-a-bit-melancholy/
Um. So, I was stressed out and looking at puppy pictures online, surfed over to the only breeder within a long day’s journey … and they were taking puppy applications. I got excited. Then I drooped, telling myself that I didn’t have a chance at a puppy (the breed I like is rare – the breeder I have my eye on has a litter every couple of years at most – I don’t plan to show or breed… all of that works against me). And then I told myself that that was stinkin’ thinkin’ and I should at least TRY. And then I told all of that to my husband who shook his head in amusement and told me to write the people already.
I’m on the waiting list. -blinks- Subject to approval of all three co-owners and enough puppies, I might be getting a Leonberger next January.
Yeah. I do that, since we’re talking about weaknesses. I’ll deny myself something until I snap. I’ll give up until I think up a back way ’round to my goal – because I *never* stop thinking about how to achieve my goal, even when I officially give it up. I never stop thinking, period.
And yes, I’d still like that place in the country. I’d like my business to get off its rear end and start business-ing. I’d like a lot of handmade clothing. I have enough goals to share – does anyone need some? (I do find it baffling when people say they can’t think of something to pursue. I droop and wilt when I get discouraged, but I don’t run out of goals, just out of energy).
Anyway. Just the idea that I might get a dog I’ve been dreaming about is cheering me up. The whole “opening a business and not getting any business” is REALLY depressing, if you want to know why I’ve been shedding stress balls everywhere. I mean, I’m GOOD at what I do… and I’m asking a fair price… oh well. God willing it will all come together.
So why a Leo?
- I want a BIG dog. I live half a mile from a homeless encampment. Do I need to explain further?
- I am NOT a dominant person. I can train an animal, but I’m not into being alpha all the time, it wears me out. Therefore, a “sharp” breed is not a good choice for me. No GSD, no Akitas, etc. I want a deterrent, not an attack dog.
- I don’t mind fur, but I don’t do drool. This eliminates Newfoundlands and some St. Bernards, as well as Mastiffs. Plus Mastiffs raise your home insurance.
- I would like a healthy animal. And there go the Swiss Mtn Dogs and the Bernese and their brethren. Overbreeding & cancer. :(
- I have a yard, but it’s small. And I have cats. No “hound” breeds and mostly no livestock guardians. There’s a 6′ fence, I don’t need a dog who jumps it to go chase the coyotes.
- Yes, there are coyotes in them thair hills. Dog bigger than coyote, see point #1.
Leos have more energy than most giant dogs, but they’re not Border Collies. They’re rare, and most breeders care very much about their health. They’re HUGE and furry and have a deep bark… but they’re big sweethearts who like to hang out with their people.
And … that’s why I have wanted a Leo. :)
thanks for putting up with me…😀 Off to research raw diets, since that’s what this breeder feeds her dogs.